Sunday, March 25, 2012

What do you wish someone had told you?

Dear Mom, Melody and Bethany, 

I just taught a last flute lesson to a senior whom I will probably never see again.  Since it was our last time interacting with each other, I felt compelled to talk with her about college and life in general.  I told her many things "I wish someone had told me."  Though I know it's important for us to learn life lessons on our own and that hard or stressful times ultimately give us strength and tools for the future, I know it's still an interesting question to ponder.  

So I ask, "What do you wish someone had explained to you when you were starting out? What have you learned that you would share with someone just graduating high school? 

Instead of comments, maybe we could put our answers in the form of "new posts?"

Sincerely,
Terri

2 comments:

  1. I did not see where to contribute a "new post," so I resorted to the Comment Section. :)

    That is an interesting question, and I know over the years I have said, "I wish someone had told me that," but I have a different perspective now. I think people DID tell me the things I needed to hear, but I DIDN'T comprehend...until I did. For instance: I KNOW people told me all the time when Bethany, Cody & Nataly were small, "Enjoy every moment!" And I thought, "Yea, right!!" Where I was in my level of consciousness, I could not understand HOW to do that, and so I got frustrated with that advice!! Now guess what I'm learning to do?! Enjoy EVERY moment! I didn't hear that advice...until I did.

    So I think what I would say now to someone (and I AM saying this to my kids these days) is: Learn to be fully present in each moment and experience all that life has to offer! REALLY experience it...don't be tense & afraid! Be open, be love, & BE PRESENT!!

    Yet I know they won't hear...until they do! :)

    ML

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your response, Melody! I have a mentor named Claire - she's 81 years old - my flute fairy godmother. She's always taught me that when we're ready to learn, we will. I like how you said it... they won't hear...until they do!

      I just resent an invitation to you, Bethany and Mom - I think it might have instructions for how to become an "author" on the blog. Once you have the right to sign in, you can write a new post or edit pages (among other things). Let me know if I can help!

      Terri

      Delete